Today's Dispatch: More Music to Write By

This song was a big hit in the Philippines when it came out, around the same time that I wasn't really paying much attention to music.

 

My first thought was, "Oh, how appropriate... for 92 Rules." Yeah, I know, Jeremy Renner trying to run after me and all that  but the chorus really got to me:

So I walked under a bus, I got hit by a train
Keep falling in love, which is kind of the same
I've sunk out at sea, crashed my car, gone insane
And it felt so good, I wanna do it again

And then I realized that this song needed to be on my writer's playlist for Save the Cake. 

That's not to say I might put this in the actual book; Eloisa (who just got her original name back, BTW; I can't imagine her as anything but an Eloisa) isn't really a musical person like my other Nineties-obsessed characters (see also: Claire Packard in Nominated), but somehow it just feels right. I already knew from the early drafts that she used to live in Queens, and of course it just happens - Serendipity-style - that her mestizo love interest Sean also lived in the same neighborhood, even though they barely saw each other. Surely they had to have a few things in common. Subway lines. Diners. Strange noises in the night, hours that nobody could live through, morning routines that become second nature.

And, yes, the food... though maybe not the exact food that Bourdain is having for lunch with Zimmern here.


I've never been to The Big Apple (for reasons that are highly complicated to explain here), but I like the idea of Eloisa and Sean living the outer boroughs, chasing after their dreams and coming so close; reminds me a bit of Serendipity, but with more food and better closure.

More about Save the Cake in the coming weeks. 

Popular Posts