A Change of Plans

I never thought I'd write about this so soon after going through my bimonthly goals, but here goes:

I received some news about a project that I've been waiting to work on since the beginning of the year. I'm not going to say what it is--I've only shared this with family and close friends--but it has thrown everything that I've had planned out of order. Production schedules had to be changed. Publication plans had to be changed. As it goes, my planner has chicken-scratch marks all over it, so I've stopped scheduling things until I get more information on how to tackle my projects.

That means one of my manuscripts had to be put in the back burner. And it just so happened that I still hadn't been able to look at LDR, even after months of getting notes together and scheduling revisions.

So, unfortunately, my long distance romance had to go.

It was painful, yes. And I had to talk to my editor about this, who told me that she can wait until I'm ready to edit the story. But I was also facing major rewrites for the other manuscript (my NaNoWriMo story) and the editor for that had already scheduled a deadline for us to work together on this one. I was even hoping that I could publish this before the year was over.

Yes, it hurts to abandon a manuscript, but sometimes, when things don't work out...they just don't.

That doesn't mean I'm not picking up LDR again; on the contrary, I'm still happy with the notes I got on this one, and I can't let all of my hard work go to waste. But again, plans had to change, and I now have to re-consider how I'm going to publish this after all the plans that I had in my head for years. There are certain realities that I have to face--some of which have changed in the years since I've written this--and now it's a matter of taking stock and setting realistic expectations.

I'll always have a soft spot for those characters in that story, and I really want them to see their happy ending. I just have to accept that there are just some things that have to be dealt with right away, and I'll have to come back to them once I'm ready.

----

So where am I on the rest of my WIPs?

Well, the NaNoWriMo manuscript is facing a massive rewrite, because there's a crucial plot point that I have to work into the story--and that, in turn, is causing a major upheaval in the overall plot of the story. This means several chapters' worth of edits that could change the course of the story altogether. At first I had my doubts because I was afraid that this would make the book too dark, but after looking at this plot twist from every angle I realized that I could make it work. Still a happy ending, though.

And like I mentioned last week, I'm taking a break from outlining my sixth book because of all the work that I have to do with the rest of my stories. It could still use some work, but I figured that if I took a break from developing it further then I might be able to examine it again with a more critical eye once I'm ready. Other recent developments have had an effect in the creative process for this story, but for the most part I'm just gathering my energy before I'm able to work on this again.

All of this is happening while I'm still on a (never-ending) break from school, which means that I'll have to start getting used to doing this full-time for the next few months. I'm trying not to think about what's going to happen after this, but I am hoping that I can get a system in place once everything settles down again.

Here's hoping that everything works out for the best from here!

Popular Posts