Today's Dispatch: Waiting on a Line of Greens and Blues

This post was brought to you by THIS SONG:

See, here's the problem: It's October 30, right? And I'm supposed to be plotting my NaNo by now, because we'll be busy tomorrow since we're getting a jump (pun not intended) on All Saints' Day by visiting the family pantheon. (Okay, not exactly a real "pantheon" per se, but we use that term in Filipino anyway so it works.) I'm supposed to be plotting ways to get a jump on word counts and plot holes and blah blah blah...

And what do I do? Write more scenes for the screenplay.

(WARNING: Spoilers after the jump)


But the weird part is that I'm actually coming to the pivotal moment for this: the karaoke party has been established; the cracks in Roger and Mel's relationship are showing, as is the building UST between Francie and Adam. Pete has snapped out of the wet-blanket phase, too, since he's out for blood over the plagiarism case and he has some UST of his own with Iris, who's about to break from the Manic Pixie Dream Girl mode and into the realm of ill-advised tequila shots.

Some editing still needs to be done, though. For one thing, I'm going to do away with Pete's anxiety attacks, which I initially added but decided to edit out since they're inconsistent with his character and the rest of the story. Then there's also the issue about the UST with Francie and Adam, since I can't establish whether or not Adam bought that nude painting of Francie before or after the two of them did the Serendipity-esque romp through New York. And Iris, oh, Iris... how could her inner life be more complex outside of getting drunk and/or trying to convince Pete that she's not playing him?

Otherwise, though, it's shaping up to be less of a "stupid" comedy and more of a homage to Cameron Crowe*, who I think is a real genius when it comes to these sorts of romantic comedies that are equally moody and melodic in a certain way. I grew up with Say Anything and Singles, so I can't help it if I keep making up playlists and soundtracks for this project.

And now I have to put it back in mothballs just for NaNoWriMo. Until December!

-----

*What I would give for this conversation between me and Mr. Crowe: "It's a done deal: you're writing, I'm directing, we have producers and financing, and Jeremy Renner has dropped out of Hansel and Gretel 2 to play Pete because you had him at 'karaoke.' Let's get this show on the road, shall we?"

Popular Posts