The Great Big Anniversary

I know, I  know, you're probably wondering: The first real post on this blog happened on January 3, and I didn't post again until the first "official" entry on January 17. Why, then, would the "anniversary" of The Great Big Jump fall on January 7?

Simple: Because THIS HAPPENED.

Matty D, you're next. (Flat Jeremy was a Christmas gift from my brother.) 
Could you imagine what would have happened if THAT didn't happen?

Like I've said last year, I don't recommend stalking your celebrity boyfriends unless you have been assigned to do so in the first place. And, now that I think about it, I shouldn't have treated it like a bad thing: So I didn't get the guy in the end - so what? I still got good grades, made new friends, explored the big city, won back my faith in God and humanity. I continued to guest-blog, too, and I'm still in the process of building my writing and blogging experience into my CV, alongside my official resume.

Most important of all, I finished two one screenplay and one novel, which gives me hope that there's more of that writer's mojo in me after all. (I overshot the runway for Right Here Right Now, by the way. The whole thing has been pushed back to January 14.)

That, in essence, is the spirit of The Great Big Jump: going past what's expected to do the completely unexpected.

Nobody expected me to make that fateful trip to the Peninsula on the day before the birthday of a certain two-time Academy Award nominee... but nobody expected me to survive bronchitis, either. My "left brainer" friends are still waiting for me to make good on the promise of getting myself published. My "right brainer" friends refuse to believe that I've aced SPSS after hating math for nearly twenty years.

And I, personally, did not expect that my creative and practical sides would mesh so well with each other. Who knew that a marriage between a difficult PhD program and a budding writing career would actually turn out to be a beautiful thing?

This is why this blog matters. This is why you all matter.



Thank you to all the folks who have spurred me on with this blog, especially my fellow writers and colleagues who have encouraged and mentored me in their own way. Thank you for the friends and family who continue to support this blog, even on the days when I'm blogging what I shouldn't be blogging. Thank you to all the folks I've met through Twitter, Facebook, and NaNoWriMo; you guys are the best when it comes to keeping me on my toes.

And, Mr. Renner, if you're reading this: Happy birthday. Alam mo na iyan.

Popular Posts